Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What ever happened to....

Hungarian Goulash and other classic recipes. I cannot seem to find the real recipe. Due to a series of unfortunate events, I have lost some of the classic old cookbooks and searching on the internet for an old recipe seems to be too time consuming. I was just looking for Hungarian goulash the other night and could not find it. What I did find find were variations to the original recipe. It seems that others have not a clue as to what this dish is. It is a Hungarian stew flavored mostly with paprika. Not potatoes or tomato paste or other tomato products. And no marjoram. I know I have played around with our traditional family recipe of Hungarian goulash, but these new recipes are just not the same and some are not even close. Maybe mine is just a variation, also. But this is what i grew up with and like it best.

My mother used to take round steak, cut into 1x2 1/2-inch strips or cubes and coat (dredge; another long lost 'item') with a mixture of flour and paprika (good sweet Hungarian paprika). A little salt and pepper to taste which i changed to Vegesal or other of similar salt-free seasonings and brown in a little bacon fat (not butter). When this step is finished, add a little beef broth and cover; simmer for 45 minutes. I would take and cut up some onion (brown or yellow depending on how you are looking at them at the moment) and brown them; slice some mushrooms and simmer them all together. What I couldn't remember is whether the sour cream was part of that dish or something else. And since my family is not Hungarian, i cannot attest to the authenticity of this recipe but served over buttered noodles (and it has to be noodles, although i have served this over mashed potatoes) it is delicious!

No comments: