Monday, October 6, 2008

The Pattern Syndrome...


While working on patterns my mind will wander and come up with more ideas sometimes. This time it was backdrops and props. And I was thinking that it would look very nice to have a chair with my backdrop (which is already made) and then pondered the problem of getting out to the garage ...no, this has to be somebody else to do that as the box of doll furniture is up on a high shelf. This means i will have to wait. Well, this is not exactly do-able. I did ask my granddaughter if she would look for my furniture but it will be a while before she can really get up there and dig around the boxes to find what I want. It has already ben 2 weeks so then my idea is to go get out the pattern and make another chair. It doesn't take that long i told my self ad this was a week ago.

Well i should know better....It is not finished and why? Well i got a better idea while working with this pattern and decided to do that. Well I also have to write down the changes made to the pattern so that i can do it again later. But, i did come up with an improvement to the chair and will do the settee next. Then I found that the pattern did not give the proper size for the arms on the chair so had to figure that out. And then from the time i made the pattern before, i couldn't remember what i did that was different form the arms in the pattern so i had to look around for the pattern i write for the arms.

So since i did that much I though i would share with you the changes. Because of copyright i cannot give the pattern out. you will have get your own copy from wherever you stored it or buy another. The major change to the arms was to work the increases at the center of the rows on the arms and cut out rows 4 & 5 and add them on to the end.But then i made a very big change to the back by making it longer and worked the 10 half rice stitches over white florist's covered wire. The last two are to be bent at right angles and serve as a foot to help balance the chair. Works very nicely. I also did just the outside of the chair and added in a row of single crochet to the last row before the shells and worked this in the black loops of the wicker stitch. Anyway before doing the skirt of the chair i did make a slit in the back from the chair by chaining 3 and slip stitched in the 4th st over and starting the skirt from that point and followed the pattern finishing that first row in the back lops of the chain stitches before joining.. Oh, yes; the arms for the chair should be 28 rows.

Now where did I put that chair cushion?.....

No comments: